Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Iron County Fair

The first weekend of September was the Iron County Fair! Scott went to work a T-Mobile booth and Emily and I walked around the fair. When Scott was done for the night, some of the rides were still open. I got to help Emily on her first experience on the "horsey" as she called it. She liked it for the first 2 minutes. I was actually getting pretty sick going around so many times!



She also really like the little boats--once she finally figured out how to ring the bell, she was having a blast!



Here's Scott buckling her into her hot rod!


Now that's one happy little girl! She actually asks me if she can drive sometimes when we get in the car (our REAL car)...so this satisfied her for a while. She hasn't asked since this. But, that just tells me I'm in trouble when she starts getting close to the age when she really CAN drive!


Giving Daddy kisses right before we get in the car to go home....thanks Dad.


We had a fun night at the Fair! :)

And here's the spiritual insight I got from walking around the fair:

As Emily and I were walking around there were all sorts of fun and exciting looking games with huge teddy bears and a even a booth with a real live goldfish for a prize. If that wasn't enough to try and lure you in, the men and women working these game booths shout things at you as you walk by, "Guaranteed prize!" "Win a bear for your baby!" "Your little sister is so cute!" (rolls eyes) "Buy Three darts, I'll throw 2 more in FREE!" I tried really hard to not make eye contact with these vendors 1) because I was all alone with Emily, 2) I didn't have any money with me, and 3) honestly they kinda creep me out a little bit. BUT, what I did glean from this experience (no, I did NOT get a goldfish) is that carnivals and fairs are like life. *sigh* Here i go:

There are many things all around us that may look very enticing. There are bright lights, shiny objects, big prizes that look so grand at the time. There are even people there trying to lure you in to these seemingly "need to have it" opportunities and "prizes." But, in reality, you go home with a huge teddy bear that you spent $30 trying to win and end up throwing it away 3 months later. What seems like a great idea at the time, could really just bring you heartache down the road.

The people trying to lure you away from your determined goal of, for instance, trying to live a clean and righteous life, have no regard for anything but trying to get you to give up what is most precious to you eternally for something so insignificant. This can be friends, co-workers, acquaintances, or anyone, really. But, what worked the best (the 2nd time I walked around the fair) was just to steer clear of these people all together. Walk on the OTHER side of the sidewalk. And--as in life--sometimes we can't avoid these things, but alot of times, we can--and should.

Because there are a lot more important things in life that are hard work and sometimes very trying, but are definitely worth working for...like this:

Alright. Enough soap box for the evening.

2 comments:

Anna said...

very insighful, kristen. your hair is getting long! i realy like it. guess it's been a long time since i've seen you. that plus the fact you haven't posted many photos of yourself. :)

Holly said...

Your thoughts are inspiring. I needed to hear it. I miss you and love you!